Structural Support - Building Problem Solutions
On The Drafting Board

Defective foundation walls; extensive problem

Defective foundation walls are a common problem, especially for concrete block walls. Foundation walls around full basement are all-too-often cracked and pushed inward by soil against the wall.

In New Jersey alone, at least several tens of thousands of basement foundation walls built in the last 40 years have a major problem with excessive height of soil backfill. Many of these walls have been damaged or severely damaged.

This extensive problem most often begins with faulty design. The wall is not thick enough to resist lateral force from soil pressure against the wall. Height of soil backfill (measured from basement floor) often exceeds.........or greatly exceeds........standard limits specified by the building code.

Defective construction methods can also be the cause, or contributing factor, for damaged foundation walls.

Other factors include improper drainage that allows soil against the wall to become saturated (or frozen), tree roots pushing against wall, and weight of vehicles on driveway adjacent to wall.

On the web site, see "Foundation Wall Design" and "Cracked Foundation Wall" for further information.

16 Comments to Defective foundation walls; extensive problem:

Comments RSS
Retaining walls brisbane on Monday, December 10, 2012 12:38 AM
I always like to read a quality content having accurate information regarding the subject and the same thing I found in this post. Nice work.

Washington DC Real Estate on Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:31 AM
Really constructive post and you've solved a great extensive problem. I really appreciate your post as well as your information. Thanks for sharing...

Pre engineered metal building erectors on Thursday, December 27, 2012 1:51 AM
Foundation walls are the most important part of any construction and having any kind of problem in them can cause huge loss in future.

outdoor firepit on Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:52 AM
I agree to what you say that defective foundation walls are a common problem, especially for concrete block walls. Defective construction methods can also be the cause, or contributing factor, for damaged foundation walls.

Australian construction supplies on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:49 AM
Defective foundation wall is really a big problem in our construction work.Thanks for talking about such a practical issue. After reading your post construction people can get solution of these problem.

steel Building on Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:12 PM
Wow really nice information about the construction.Thanks for sharing this information with us..

Sell My Home In DC on Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:38 AM
You did a great job! I really love your work and appreciate it. Thanks for sharing...

New Jersey home improvement contractor on Monday, September 16, 2013 4:39 AM
Many thanks for making the sincere effort to explain this. I feel fairly strong about it and would like to read more. If it's OK, as you find out more in depth knowledge, would you mind writing more posts similar to this one with more information

Realtor Washington DC on Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:35 AM
Thanks for your great solution and I've learned more about extensive problem of defective foundation walls. I really like your solution...

Los Angeles Construction on Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:43 AM
Really wonderful information and suggestion about extensive problem of Defective foundation walls. I must keep your suggestion and I follow your instruction in future. Thanks for that...

Silvey on Friday, November 08, 2013 6:14 PM
Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

Houston Patio Builders on Friday, May 23, 2014 5:33 AM
This is a great sort of problems and every building material should be checked carefully and beware of all defective materials used in home construction.

Tarleton on Friday, July 11, 2014 11:14 PM
I write a comment whenever I like a post on a website or I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion. Usually it is caused by the sincerness displayed in the article I browsed. And after this article Defective foundation walls; extensive problem. I was actually excited enough to drop a commenta response :-P I do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind. Could it be simply me or do some of the comments appear like they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at other online social sites, I would like to follow everything fresh you have to post. Would you make a list all of all your community pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Best Astrologer in India on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 6:06 AM
Well somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog.It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.

Makrana Marble on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:08 PM
I bookmark your website and will come back in the future.

Terry Riede on Friday, October 02, 2015 10:45 PM
house, and this far better be avoided?